For Drivers

Who to Contact with Concerns

Learn who to contact with concerns or questions about your auto insurance.

Questions or Concerns About Your Auto Insurance?

If your concerns or questions are about your auto insurance, follow the steps below:

1. Brokers and Agents

The first point of contact is the broker, direct writer, or agent who sold you your auto insurance. Brokers and agents will represent you and your best interests, and may offer independent advice on resolving issues or addressing concerns about your auto insurance.

2. Insurance Companies

If your concerns were not addressed or you were not able to reach a resolution with your broker, direct writer, or agent, your next step is to contact your insurance company’s Complaint Liaison Officer or Ombudsperson. Click here to find the contact for your insurance company.

3. General Insurance OmbudService

If your insurance broker, agent, or insurance company representative has not resolved your concerns, the next step is to contact the General Insurance OmbudService (GIO).

The GIO is an independent organization helping Albertans resolve their concerns, questions, or disputes with their auto insurer by providing mediation services free of charge. More information about the GIO and how their process works is available on their website.

Questions about Auto Insurance Regulation?

Automobile Insurance Rate Board (AIRB)

If your concern is about AIRB rules and processes used to regulate the calculation of automobile insurance premiums, you may contact us at 780-427-5428 or [email protected].

To call toll-free within Alberta, dial 310-0000 then 780-427-5428.

Superintendent of Insurance

If your concern is about how the auto insurance system operates, experience obtaining coverage or resolving a claim, contact your broker or call the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance at 780-427-8322 or [email protected].

To call toll-free within Alberta, dial 310-0000 then 780-427-8322.